2008 Fiat 1.3 multijet; DPF reset

Multiecuscan usage help and guides
Misanthropicgit

2008 Fiat 1.3 multijet; DPF reset

Post by Misanthropicgit »

Hi everyone; I'm hoping someone can confirm for me whether or not the latest Multiecuscan version can reset the DPF filter counter in the ECU on a 2008 Doblo 1.3 multijet?

My understanding is as follows: the oil light has just started flashing on our Doblo with associated message to get dealership oil change. I have discovered that the need for dealership equipment is due to the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which periodically burns engine oil to self-clean. This process is managed by the ECU which monitors various engine parameters and uses an algorithm to time and regulate the burns, and estimate the condition of the oil. When it considers the oil to be approaching a point where it is too dirty it flags up an oil degradation warning, which is what we have. Common sense suggests an oil and filter change at this point to prevent damage to the dpf and engine, but what is less clear is the effect of not resetting the ECU to tell it there is new clean oil. Some are suggesting that as the ECU would have incorrect information to work with it would 'mismanage' the dpf cleaning with potentially catastrophic consequences for the engine.

Any answers to my initial question, and/or insight on oil degradation or dpf management gratefully received.
s130

Re: 2008 Fiat 1.3 multijet; DPF reset

Post by s130 »

Fiat Doblo 1.3 MJET 16V - Oil Change reset is supported in Multiecuscan 3.0.4
Fiat Doblo 1.3 JTD - Oil Change reset is supported in Multiecuscan 3.0.4

Note: Only supported if you have a DPF fitted

DPF regeneration/cleaning places large stress on the oil and engine due to very high temperatures.

Once the oil change required is signalled then you need to get this done as soon as possible. At some point after an oil change if required the ECU will stop doing DPF regeneration/cleaning cycles. This is done to protect the engine from damage. Continue driving and the DPF will eventually be so heavily clogged with soot that it can no longer been cleaned/cleared.

There are no magic 'oil quality' sensors that test the quality of the oil. Degradation is determined by an algorithm based on time, mileage, how hard the car has been worked etc.
The only way the ECU knows that the oil has been changed and is not fit to permit DPF regeneration is by the oil change counter being reset.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
nec

Post by nec »

[quote="s130"]There are no magic 'oil quality' sensors that test the quality of the oil. Degradation is determined by an algorithm based on time, mileage, how hard the car has been worked etc.
quote]

Thanks for this information but I was under the belief (mistaken it seems) that FIAT actually do test the oil on a service to know if it is in need of change bearing in mind the quality of the oils now in use and their life expectancy. I am trying to get up to speed on these issues - I undertake my own servicing now that the van is outside warranty but the FIAT main dealer will not reset the oil degredation counter for me (turning away business) as they have not changed the oil :|

Thanks in anticipation.
s130

Post by s130 »

As far as the car is concerned there are no magic sensors to detect/measure oil quality, at least on Fiats.

Oil quality can be tested (see http://www.checkoil.com/youzhi_JCY.htm) but kit like this is expensive and I doubt any car manufacturer would be willing to fit such a system to their cars.

Many garages do have simpler test kits that can detect cooling fluid in the oil or oil in the colling fluid etc. but these are used more for diagnostic tests and not to measure oil quality with a view to determining if an oil change is required.

With modern lubricants on correctly functioning cars, driven normally, then 12,000 miles to 18,000 miles is the industry wide accepted oil change interval. Comply with this then there is no real need to test oil quality.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
nec

Post by nec »

Thanks s130 for your input as above - I am starting to get to understand the subject better - but a long way to go yet I suspect :roll: .
fiatstan

Post by fiatstan »

Hi
I also have a doblo 1.3 multijet 2008
My oil pressure warning light started to flash with the message change engine oil.
I connected an elm 327 interface and used the registered ecuscan to look at the ecu parameters.
I had to connect using the doblo 1.3 jtd engine as it is the same iso number and my interface couldn't connect to the doblo 1.3 mjet 16v
The parameters of interest were:-
oil degredation 0.00% ..which indicates that the oil is totally degraded..I know it appears to be the wrong way round..!!
Dpf blockage 104% which I presume is a very high figure
Now I guess that the ecu wished to initiate a regeneration but could not as the oil was totally contaminated with excess diesel.
I understand that when a regeneration occurs that the ecu injects excess fuel in order to keep the exhaust gases very hot to cause a
spontaneous ignition in the soot in the dpf.
I had changed the oil some 1000miles ago but didn't tell the ecu..!!
So now i logged on to the ecu and in the adjustment section reset the oil change counter.
I disconnected then connected again and found that the oil change counter had incremented from 3 to 4 and that the oil degredation
figure was now 100.00% i.e clean
I then went for a drive and after 10 mins water temp 80 , dpf filter 250 degrees then a dpf initiatiated
The dpf progress slowly incremented
The dpf temp went to 550-650 degrees
The oil degredation started to drop
If the revs went down the regeneration would pause..!!
Anyway after 15 mins the regeneration progress was 100%
The dpf blockage figure was now 22% so I guess that's a partial success
The oil degredation reading is now 95% so i guess there was a certain amount of excess diesel leakage into the oil.
I havn't manually checked the oil level to see whether it has risen yet.
The dpf temp is now back to normal..150-250
It will be interesting to see if and when another regeneration event occurs.
Hope this helps.
nec

Post by nec »

Thanks FiatStan for a most helpful input - starting to get there now ;)

How pleased are you with the multiecuscan kit - it all sounds a bit 22nd century to someone who started life ploughing with horses :lol:
Misanthropicgit

Post by Misanthropicgit »

Thanks for all the responses. I was aware that there was not a 'magic' oil sensor. When I said it monitors engine parameters I meant temp, rpm, air flow, throttle position, fuel rate, car speed and so on. I can confirm for those that are interested that the recent version of Multiecuscan I purchased will reset the dpf counter. However, with the interface I have, I still cannot reset the service interval, or make access a lot of the other functions. It appears that there are no guarantees with the hardware - there are many options from £10 to £100, and none will ensure a result!
miniraziel

Post by miniraziel »

fiatstan wrote:Hi
I also have a doblo 1.3 multijet 2008
My oil pressure warning light started to flash with the message change engine oil.
I connected an elm 327 interface and used the registered ecuscan to look at the ecu parameters.
I had to connect using the doblo 1.3 jtd engine as it is the same iso number and my interface couldn't connect to the doblo 1.3 mjet 16v
The parameters of interest were:-
oil degredation 0.00% ..which indicates that the oil is totally degraded..I know it appears to be the wrong way round..!!
Dpf blockage 104% which I presume is a very high figure
Now I guess that the ecu wished to initiate a regeneration but could not as the oil was totally contaminated with excess diesel.
I understand that when a regeneration occurs that the ecu injects excess fuel in order to keep the exhaust gases very hot to cause a
spontaneous ignition in the soot in the dpf.
I had changed the oil some 1000miles ago but didn't tell the ecu..!!
So now i logged on to the ecu and in the adjustment section reset the oil change counter.
I disconnected then connected again and found that the oil change counter had incremented from 3 to 4 and that the oil degredation
figure was now 100.00% i.e clean
I then went for a drive and after 10 mins water temp 80 , dpf filter 250 degrees then a dpf initiatiated
The dpf progress slowly incremented
The dpf temp went to 550-650 degrees
The oil degredation started to drop
If the revs went down the regeneration would pause..!!
Anyway after 15 mins the regeneration progress was 100%
The dpf blockage figure was now 22% so I guess that's a partial success
The oil degredation reading is now 95% so i guess there was a certain amount of excess diesel leakage into the oil.
I havn't manually checked the oil level to see whether it has risen yet.
The dpf temp is now back to normal..150-250
It will be interesting to see if and when another regeneration event occurs.
Hope this helps.
Hi, i have also a 1.3 mjet 66kw (Fiat grande Punto 2007), i've ordered an ELM327 1.4 from ebay, i'm interested only in DPF counter reset, i've read the "Supported Vehicles table" but i don't understand if i need also the ADAPTER CABLE A3 to do the DPF reset or not.
Did you used the adapter to reset the DPF counter?
Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k »

miniraziel wrote:Hi, i have also a 1.3 mjet 66kw (Fiat grande Punto 2007), i've ordered an ELM327 1.4 from ebay, i'm interested only in DPF counter reset, i've read the "Supported Vehicles table" but i don't understand if i need also the ADAPTER CABLE A3 to do the DPF reset or not.
Did you used the adapter to reset the DPF counter?
The DPF regeneration function is on the engine controller, which doesn't require an adaptor cable for access.
You have to monitor a couple of live data parameters on the engine during the process, so it must be possible to run the procedure without any adaptor cables, otherwise the live data parameters wouldn't be available.
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza