No ECU Response

Multiecuscan usage help and guides
browndog

No ECU Response

Post by browndog »

Hello

I downloaded the latest version of Multiecuscan to my old laptop with Windows XP. I bought a cheapie KKL VAG-COM 409.1 USB cable from ebay (Auction ID:220586751884).
After it arrived I downloaded the driver from the sellers link. When I tried to install it it wouldn't accept the driver so I had to Google the device ID and found that it is a Winchiphead 340/341 USB to serial converter which I managed to locate and download. Windows picked up these drivers for the cable successfully and it now shows under Ports in Device Manager as "USB-SERIAL CH340" on COM4.

I connected it to my Fiat Stilo 1.2 16v 5 door 2002 model and started Multiecuscan. I selected the make as Fiat and the model as STILO 1.2 16V and chose the Engine as the system and the default BOSCH MOTRONIC ME7.3H4M EOBD INJECTION as the ECU and clicked on CONNECT (with the key turned to power up the electrics but without the engine running). It showed CONNECTING TO ECU ... for about 30 seconds and then returned "NO ECU RESPONSE Check your cable and serial port settings".
I ran the connectivity test and it showed the following:
Test:
VagCom/KKL
Testing latency with 200 bytes of data...
Min latency: 3
Max latency: 21

Testing timers ...
(The acceptable tolerance for results is ~5ms)
System supports high resolution timer
Testing timer with 1000ms..
..result: 1002ms

Testing timer with 250ms...
The operation has timed out.

I installed the VAG-COM 409.1-S software and ran a test there with the following results:
Port Status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/ISO: No
Ross-Tech Design: No

The VAG-COM software returns the following when I try and connect to the 01 ENGINE section:
Init Controller ... No response from controller

I have the port set to the following settings in Device Manager/Ports for COM4:

Bps: 9600bps
Data: 8-Bits
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Advanced Section:
FIFO Buffers: Tried both ON (with Receive: High (14) Transmit: High (16) and OFF

I even tried Hyperterminal in Windows XP on the COM4 port but all it does it wait for ages after I send a command and then returns to a blank screen.

Can someone please help me to get this cable to connect as nothing I am trying seems to work? I'm not sure if it is the cable, the driver or my laptop that is the problem. :?:

Many Thanks
alfa156sarajevo

Re: No ECU Response

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

Hi browndog,

1st - please read this topic http://www.multiecuscan.net/HowToUse.aspx (read it few times)

2nd - did you installed NET Framework drivers?
If not than you should install them. You can find them on Google. They are free. You need at least version 2.0!
(if you can find higher version 3.0 or 3.5 or 4.0 that would be good bur they are taking more space - at least 300mb)

3rd - Buffers should be: Receive: 1; Transmit: 1; as far as I know.
(ELM 327 interfaces need to be set at the maximum: Receive: 14; Transmit: 16)

Try this first and see does it work! ;)
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars
steviestilo

Post by steviestilo »

hi browndog,

did you have any success getting fes to connect. I have almost exactly the same problem connecting with an ebay cable (looks identical) to a stilo 1.2 16v engine ecu.

i also get the ecu no response error and get a timeout when i do the test (only on 750ms stage)

i have tried different laptops (win7 and xp) and three different driver versions but cannot get connected so I'm completely stuck

Any help would be great - I have followed the instructions on the how to use page re port settings but no joy whatever i try.

thanks

Peter
browndog

Post by browndog »

Not yet but on further reading I think I need to alter the pin arrangements on the VAG-COM cable for it to work properly with my Stilo.

I'm going to try that and I'll let you know how I get on :)
steviestilo

Post by steviestilo »

Hi, thanks for the reply, I thought the standard cable as-is should be able to connect to the engine ECU and that re-wiring would only be needed for ABS/Airbags etc. (which is what I need - ABS) but wanted to prove the prinicple before i attempt to modify the cable

Can you explain what you think is needed & maybe I can also try the same (at least we can share results...)

Thanks

Peter
steviestilo

Post by steviestilo »

Hi,

Can anyone else help me with this.

I get basically the same error as above and ave tried modifying the cable to connect pins 7 and 1 for abs comms.

I am desperate to troubleshoot an abs wheel sensor issue. Thanks

Peter
alfa156sarajevo

Try to read those topics:
- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2736&p=8825#p8825
and this one:
- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=255&hilit=KKL

Just read them once or twice... You will see that are few different 409.1 interfaces on eBay and some of them do not work with FTDI drivers. Maybe you need a special driver form your seller/ manufacturer... :roll:
steviestilo

Post by steviestilo »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes mine is a winchiphead cable so doesnt use the ftdi drivers.

I have tried the native ms windows7 (installed from windowsupdate) drivers and also downloaded drivers from the wch website for windows xp

I had read through the 2nd page. all i can think to do is buy another cable so i am going to buy one on ebay which specifically mentions fes & CROSS MY FINGERS THAT I HAVENT WASTED ANOTHER £30 - (sorry accidental caps)

the cable i have ordered has the microswitch option for different ecu's

will keep you posted..

thanks
Tipiak

Post by Tipiak »

same problem here !

I have a kkl cable with wincheaphead chipset instaead of FTDI and I cannot connect to engine ECU but airbag ecu is working for example...
alfa156sarajevo

I have 2 KKL cables! First one is new and it is working just fine. The other one is little bit old and it does not work! Even it was working past few years perfectly but suddenly stopped working (a month ago)...
When I run the test (to that one which is not working) from settings menu everything is OK! And the comport setting is OK but it just won’t connect! I did tried to test it on older versions of FES and it is not working!
So, probably the old KKL interface died... :(