Stelvio SGW bypass by direct conenction to CAN

General support messages
toevacpan

Stelvio SGW bypass by direct conenction to CAN

Post by toevacpan »

I would like to execute some commands (i.e clear DCT). Let's assume that I'm only interested in modules that can be connectedjust with ELM (without any adapter) - list here: https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx .
Througth SGW I can read DCT codes, see parameter values - that works fine, but I can not clear DCT - that is obvious.
I know, that I can install SGW Bypass directly in SGW module cables - but in Stelvio there is really hard access to it, and after whole procedure I would like to revert all connections to factory setup - it means I have to access SGW twice.
I'm thinking of using "infamous" radar connector to connect directly to CAN-L and CAN-H cables, create cable that will have male and female MQS connector (like in a radar) and OBD socket for ELM, that connects ELM pins 6 and 14 to CAN there.
Do you think it will work? Will I be able to access ie ECU or reset service light ?
s130

Re: Stelvio SGW bypass by direct conenction to CAN

Post by s130 »

It might work.

I've not personally checked but I believe the SGW sits directly between the EOBD socket and the Body Computer Module. From the BCM the CAN Bus then fans out to all the relevant units. I also suspect that the BCM may do some buffering/isolation and termination balancing.

You may find that connecting directly onto the distributed CAN Bus lines will cause an imbalance in termination / loading.

That said we also know that the ELM interfaces which work have those termination resistors removed as these were dragging the CAN Bus lines down. So it is possible that connecting via the radar connector will be OK.

What I would do is to actually make a new "Y" EOBD cable. Get new male and female EOBD connectors. Wire them as an extension cable but not the CAN Lo/Hi lines and instead loop out the CAN Lo and Hi lines to the radar connector. Your ELM device will pick up all the normal power and ground lines etc. except for the CAN lines on the vehicles EOBD socket.

You can only try.

Let us all know how you get on!
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
shpuncik

Re: Stelvio SGW bypass by direct conenction to CAN

Post by shpuncik »

toevacpan wrote: 20 Sep 2024, 07:53 I would like to execute some commands (i.e clear DCT). Let's assume that I'm only interested in modules that can be connectedjust with ELM (without any adapter) - list here: https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx .
Througth SGW I can read DCT codes, see parameter values - that works fine, but I can not clear DCT - that is obvious.
I know, that I can install SGW Bypass directly in SGW module cables - but in Stelvio there is really hard access to it, and after whole procedure I would like to revert all connections to factory setup - it means I have to access SGW twice.
I'm thinking of using "infamous" radar connector to connect directly to CAN-L and CAN-H cables, create cable that will have male and female MQS connector (like in a radar) and OBD socket for ELM, that connects ELM pins 6 and 14 to CAN there.
Do you think it will work? Will I be able to access ie ECU or reset service light ?
yes. also if you're connecting directly to CAN bus you don't need adapters.