Delphi Electric Steering Problem - Fiat Punto Mk2

Multiecuscan usage help and guides
keithn

Delphi Electric Steering Problem - Fiat Punto Mk2

Post by keithn »

Hi,

Someone recently broke into my car and stole the complete steering column of my Punto Mk2 1.2/8v :evil:

After finding out that the dealer wanted to charge me more than the car was worth, I decided to buy a second hand column and fit it myself.

After I fitted it, it worked fine, including the power steering in both normal & city modes. However, after a few miles driving, the steering became heavy and the power steering warning light came on. I tried everything to reset it, including disconnecting the battery overnight, as recommended by some posters on various forums, but nothing worked.

I then decided that the steering probably needed recalibrating and so I took it to my dealer and asked them to do it. They connected it to their diagnostics system and told me that 'the system had disabled itself and they could not recalibrate it - sorry, that will be EURO 50 please' Needless to say I was pretty annoyed by their disinterest.

As an electronics engineer myself, I then decided to buy the multiecuscan software and an ELM327 so that I could inspect the system for myself.

I can connect to the steering ecu ok and I can see that their is a logged fault regarding the motor, which I can clear. I can also read out all the parameters (which is great :D ) but when I try the system adjustments, I have only partial success:

Torque Sensor Calibration - Test runs OK
Torque Sensor Position Calibration - Test runs OK
Position Sensor calibration - FAILED TO EXECUTE - Incorrect Conditions for this test
System Calibration - FAILED TO EXECUTE

All tests performed with steering wheel & front wheels in the straight ahead position. All fuses connected with the power steering circuits have been checked. After doing these, I start the engine and the steering light comes on again immediately and the same fault is stored again

My questions:

1. Why should the Position & System Calibrations FAIL TO EXECUTE? What does 'Incorrect conditions for this test' mean?
2. What should the Position Potentiometer voltages 1 and 2 be, when the vehicle is in the straight ahead position? Mine are 2.4888v and 0.0000v respectively
3. Parameter Feedback Offset voltage on my system is 0.2352v whereas the parameter Max Feedback Offset Voltage is 0.1232. Why is my feedback offset voltage higher that the max value and what does this parameter tell me?
4. Does anyone have a set of figure for the same or a similar vehicle so that I can compare them?

I think the multiecuscan software should be able to help me fix my problem, but I would be very grateful for any advice or help from other users.

If anyone requires further information, please ask.

Many Thanks

Keith
andrea

Re: Delphi Electric Steering Problem - Fiat Punto Mk2

Post by andrea »

mi pare di avvere capito che in errore ti da il motore?se possiede un motorino prima serie il problema è il motorino se invece possiede un motorino 2 serie cioe senza relè nel motorino il problema è la centralina elettrosterzo..comunque per maggiori consigli fammi sapere il numero centralina elettrosterzo stampigliato soto(1075 )9236)...
andrea

Post by andrea »

hello I try to help to solve this problem that seems to have seriously then I understand that you used and mounted an eps worked well for a period, then hardened steering acendendosi light damage eps. if you made a diagnosis and have found the error stage engine problem could be the ECU eps, more must control the number of eps (1075) (9296 )..... let me know.
keithn

Post by keithn »

Hello Andrea & M@x,

I am very grateful for your help.

The problem is now solved :D

Yani told me that the motor was the most likely problem and so I took it off and found some broken soldered joints on the relays. I re-soldered everything and now the system works perfectly.

Thank you again for your time & helpful suggestions.

Best Regards,

Keith

P.S. What a great piece of software Yani has designed
NeoKuli

Post by NeoKuli »

hi,
i want to recalibrate my steering, i have posted my problem on a seperate querry please see the below link;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1470

My question is that i have the modified vag.com lead and the free software, but i do not get the option to calibrate the steering. Is this because it is only in the pay version of the software or is it due to my lead or both?

Also do you think that calibrating my system will help me. (At the momentthe system say i have no problem with power steering e.i the power steering light is not on)

Please Help

Regards

Neokuli
ebatis

Post by ebatis »

Hello.
I have a similar problem.
My seering work good without errors, but when I try to make a System Calibration it fail to execute.
I can:
Torque Sensor Calibration - OK
Torque Sensor Position Calibration - OK
Position Sensor calibration - OK

But I can`t:

Why?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english
alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

NeoKuli wrote:hi,
i want to recalibrate my steering, i have posted my problem on a seperate querry please see the below link;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1470

My question is that i have the modified vag.com lead and the free software, but i do not get the option to calibrate the steering. Is this because it is only in the pay version of the software or is it due to my lead or both?

Also do you think that calibrating my system will help me. (At the momentthe system say i have no problem with power steering e.i the power steering light is not on)

Please Help

Regards

Neokuli
Next time when you get errors just post them here and I will tell you what is the problem on your power steering... ;)
As far as I know calibrating the whole system will not help that much... :roll:
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars
alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

ebatis wrote:Hello.
I have a similar problem.
My seering work good without errors, but when I try to make a System Calibration it fail to execute.
I can:
Torque Sensor Calibration - OK
Torque Sensor Position Calibration - OK
Position Sensor calibration - OK

But I can`t:

Why?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english
This is normal... ;) No need to worry... :)
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars