Free updates no longer lifetime, now only for 1 year...

General support messages
tzok

Free updates no longer lifetime, now only for 1 year...

Post by tzok »

I've noticed a change in the support policy, now for the registered users there is only 1 year of free updates. I've found an info that this considers only new users, so I don't have to worry. I guess this change is connected with introduction of a dedicated interface with a hardware license key.

I've got three questions about this new policy:
- will there be a special price for prolonging a "free" update period for a next year?
- how the user will know if he is still entitled for a free update or not?
- I understand the once registered version will stay registered after the 1 year period but no further free updates will be available, but if so what will happen when user will try to update after this 1 year period? Will he permanently lose his license (I know a program which acts like this) and will need to buy a new one or prolongate his old license?
Juggers2k

Re: Free updates no longer lifetime, now only for 1 year...

Post by Juggers2k »

From what I understand, if you activated your software before 3.4 was released, then you will get lifetime free updates.
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza
s130

Post by s130 »

I understand this to be the case as well. I you are already a registered user prior to 3.4 then you have lifetime free updates. You should also be able to transfer your license onto a new pc or laptop via the existing mechanism as well.

I guess we all new that this was going to happen at some point in time. Can't remember if I discussed this here on Multiecuscan or another forum but Yani's business model, like many startups requires early adopters to use, test and help develop the demand and spread the word. At some point this lifetime model had to come to an end especially when many small garages/independent Fiat mechanics are using the software to drive their business.

No doubt there will be very very many upset people who have missed.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
tzok

Post by tzok »

Definitely true, but also this kind of change may lead to increase of piracy... this 50€ is in some countries quite a lot of money (it's 1/6 of minimal monthly salary in Poland or equivalent of about 40l of "Regular" Diesel Fuel - which is very expensive when compared to salaries), so if one reads that for this amount of money he will only have support for 1 year, he will unlikely buy a license, as cracked versions currently appear about 1 month after release, and a month is not a long time comparing to a year. I think double licensing model (commercial and non-commercial usage) would meet with a better acceptance.

I know that this problem doesn't consider users who have bought AND activated their licenses before the 3.4 version was released, but I'm asking this questions to be able to explain this situation to other people who are asking me about it. I know at last one person who was about to buy a license within this year but have resigned after this new rule was introduced.
yani
Site Admin

Post by yani »

Ok, let me join in here...
I know that many people will not be happy from this change. I've been thinking about it for at least a year...
However, everyone knows that if the updates continue to be free for life then I will eventually have to stop making any updates at some point and the software will die... So, I'm adding this new policy for all users who activated the license after 29/01/2012 (i.e. after release of Multiecuscan 3.4).
Of course the old users will continue to have free updates for life. I will not and cannot change that.
Also, now many clients (really a lot of them) do not even know that they can update to a new version for free.

Now for the new clients:
- They buy a license with 1-year updates
- During this year they can update with any new version that comes out
- After 1 year they can continue to use the latest version of the program (which they have) forever
- After 1 year they can buy a new license at the full price. I've though about having a special update price and discussed it with the distributors and decided that this approach is good enough.
I'm trying to keep the licensing model as simple as possible.

- for the MULTIPLEXED package... there will be an option for existing users to order it at a reduced price.

Yani
s130

Post by s130 »

Thanks for the update Yani

One suggestion with your new yearly license is that when you add a new or old vehicle model, eg Fiat Tiger, that you try and implement all possible ecus & functions for that model asap and hopefully within a year. That way people who buy Multiecuscan specifically for their model will hopefully be fully supported within a year and not have to repeatedly buy licenses till their model is fully supported.

Keep up the great work.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

Yani,

I just have one question for you...
Do you know how much will cost update of FES for 1 year?
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars
wombi

Post by wombi »

Hello Yani
There is also an entry-level model, cheaper access of multiplexer for old registered members?

Many greetings from Turkey

wombi
Juggers2k

Post by Juggers2k »

alfa156sarajevo wrote:Yani,

Yani said above:
After 1 year they can buy a new license at the full price. I've though about having a special update price and discussed it with the distributors and decided that this approach is good enough.
I'm trying to keep the licensing model as simple as possible
So basically 50 Euros, or whatever price you can get a Promo code for from a distributor.
2008 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 8v Eleganza
alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

Juggers2k wrote:
alfa156sarajevo wrote:Yani,

Yani said above:
After 1 year they can buy a new license at the full price. I've though about having a special update price and discussed it with the distributors and decided that this approach is good enough.
I'm trying to keep the licensing model as simple as possible
So basically 50 Euros, or whatever price you can get a Promo code for from a distributor.
Thanks Juggers2k
I thought it is going to be 50€ per year... Just wanted to confirm... ;) Cheers
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars