Odometer doesn't show correct value

General support messages
WILDCARD

Re: Odometer doesn't show correct value

Post by WILDCARD »

Dont know why though. But at least I have the full service history of my car so at least I know the KM reading is true.
alfa156sarajevo

Post by alfa156sarajevo »

Boris wrote:Are you sure that it is a ECU problem? and not a indication that somebody changed odometer value?

I have seen few 147 with correct odometer values, and few with values like that (600-700 000 km).
All cars with correct values had only one owner, and cars with big odometer values were from 3-4-5-th owner, and looked like some previous owner was cheating with km on odometer.
I would always advise you to drive a car for a few kilometres and than you will see is the right value or not.
maybe it is a software bug, maybe it is the a ECU bug... :roll: Who knows…

Correct value reading from my experience:
- Alfa Romeo 156 from 2001 and newer have normal odometer reading very close to dashboard. Maybe it can lie up to 5.000km.
- Alfa Romeo 147 from 2005 (face lifting) and newer have normal odometer reading very close to dashboard. Maybe it can lie up to 5.000km.
- Fiat Stilo from 2001 and never have normal odometer reading very close to dashboard. Maybe it can lie up to 5.000km.
Coded Keys & CODE card for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia cars
Boris

Post by Boris »

Yesterday connected on 147 1.9 JTD 8V, and there was a big difference in km value - approx 1:3. (for 1 km in dashboard, ecu/odometer shows approx 3 km when cars is driving).
Not only FES shows a difference in value but also a Fiat examiner (both km values are the same in FES and Examiner), so this error is not an error in FES, but probably in ECU?
alfa156sarajevo

Boris wrote:Yesterday connected on 147 1.9 JTD 8V, and there was a big difference in km value - approx 1:3. (for 1 km in dashboard, ecu/odometer shows approx 3 km when cars is driving).
Not only FES shows a difference in value but also a Fiat examiner (both km values are the same in FES and Examiner), so this error is not an error in FES, but probably in ECU?
I agree with you! There is a problem in ECU! But on later models Alfa Romeo fixed that problem. I tested a lot of Alfas, especially models 147 and 156 and I got this conclusion:
- all AR 147 models (face lifting) from 2005 and AR models 156 from 2001 are showing the right value in the odometer (dashboard and FES). Maybe it can lie up to 3% and that is it!
- all AR 145, 146, 147 models (until 12/2004) and AR 156 models (until 12/2000) are showing wrong value in the odometer. Dashboard odometer is showing one value and FES is showing the different value. You need to drive car for a few kilometers and with some math you can calculate the approximately odometer value. ;)
Boris

Post by Boris »

alfa156sarajevo wrote:
Boris wrote:Yesterday connected on 147 1.9 JTD 8V, and there was a big difference in km value - approx 1:3. (for 1 km in dashboard, ecu/odometer shows approx 3 km when cars is driving).
I agree with you! There is a problem in ECU! But on later models Alfa Romeo fixed that problem. I tested a lot of Alfas, especially models 147 and 156 and I got this conclusion:
- all AR 147 models (face lifting) from 2005 and AR models 156 from 2001 are showing the right value in the odometer (dashboard and FES). Maybe it can lie up to 3% and that is it!
- all AR 145, 146, 147 models (until 12/2004) and AR 156 models (until 12/2000) are showing wrong value in the odometer. Dashboard odometer is showing one value and FES is showing the different value. You need to drive car for a few kilometers and with some math you can calculate the approximately odometer value. ;)
My experience is not the same:
For example I have 147 2.0 TS 2003 and it shows correct values (both), also Alfa 147 jtd 8v 2002 shows correct values...
Ovo nisam baš najbolje razumio "Dashboard odometer is showing one value and FES is showing the different value". Misliš reći da kilometraža na inst. ploči uživo ne odgovara kilometraži koju daje FES kad ga spojiš na Servisni interval tj. instrument ploču?
alfa156sarajevo

Da... Mislim da kilometraža koja je "trenutno" na instrument ploči ne odgovara onoj kilometraži koja je zabilježena u "Engine ECU", odnosno u motoru. ;)
Eto vidiš, ja sam testirao par modela Alfe 147 JTD iz 2002. godine i kilometraža bila oko 1 milion, odnosno oko 200 000km nakon malo vožnje i malo matematike...
Vjerovatno su te alfe koje sam ja "testirao" bile modeli iz kraja 2001. godine, a u papire upisane kao 2002. godina proizvodnje... Odnosno "ubačen" im stariji ECU sistem... :roll:
Boris

Post by Boris »

alfa156sarajevo wrote:Da... Mislim da kilometraža koja je "trenutno" na instrument ploči ne odgovara onoj kilometraži koja je zabilježena u "Engine ECU", odnosno u motoru. ;)
Eto vidiš, ja sam testirao par modela Alfe 147 JTD iz 2002. godine i kilometraža bila oko 1 milion, odnosno oko 200 000km nakon malo vožnje i malo matematike...
Vjerovatno su te alfe koje sam ja "testirao" bile modeli iz kraja 2001. godine, a u papire upisane kao 2002. godina proizvodnje... Odnosno "ubačen" im stariji ECU sistem... :roll:
Kao što sam ja napisao, ove dvije 147 2.0 2003 i Alfa 147 jtd 8v 2002, imaju obje kilometraže slične tj. kilometraža na kontrolnoj ploči je jednaka kilometraži kad se sa FES-om priključiš na Servisni interval, i ta je kilometarža slična kilometraži u Engine ECU tj motoru. Obadve te Alfe su normalne prije facelifta.
Interesantno je to da kad u Engine ECU pokazuje puno više, to su uglavnom vozila koja su prošla više ruku i gdje je za očekivati da je netko štelao kilomtražu na tabli...možda je slučajnost...