2008 Fiat 1.3 multijet; DPF reset

Multiecuscan usage help and guides
JONSCAN

Re: 2008 Fiat 1.3 multijet; DPF reset

Post by JONSCAN »

Hi
I have a Doblo 2008 1.3 multi jet diesel.
I cannot find any one including Fiat dealers who now what the acceptable DPF clogging level should be for this model.
My clogging level is 85 percent and the car runs fine no problems no fault codes.
I have heard of cases of Doblos with over 100 percent still running ok.
So my question is (please) WHAT SHOULD THE ACCEPTABLE LEVEL BE
Also is there a technical support center at Fiat that I could contact
Thanks for any help.
John
s130

Post by s130 »

I'm not sure Fiat will be able to tell you and acceptable clogging level as I strongly suspect that the level will vary from car to car.

Probably the more important point is are you actually having DPF problems? If not then as long as regenerations are taking place and not too frequently (Multiecuscan will tell you the statistics) then personally I would not worry about any absolute clogging level as this could be any range of values including over 100%.

If you are concered try recording the DPF stats at regular intervals to see if there is a general increase in number of regens being done and the time taken to complete. If they are happening more and more frequently and the time/duration of them is getting longer and longer each time then this is probably a good indication that the DPF filter is getting old and running out of service life.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus
JONSCAN

Post by JONSCAN »

Hi,
Thank u s130 it was helpful.
But my brain cannot understand that the the levels do not give a indication of good average and bad clogging levels, what would be the point of having a measurement with
no point of reference, imagine a cooker or a set of scales that had a measurement but no point of reference.
I have not had any problems with the DPF other then a warning light which went off.
I will do as you suggested and monitor what is happening.
Thanks
John
JONSCAN

Post by JONSCAN »

Hi
Would be you be able to tell me how often regens should happen and how long should they last.
Thanks
John
locdogbg

Post by locdogbg »

Hello,

I have a Grande Punto 1.3 MTJ 16v 75hp. 2008 manifactured with Euro 4. on 75000km (got it brand new) mileage is corect.
Yesterday i changed engine oil by myself. I used local fiat service before.

How i can find if my GP have DPF. In Engine section > Marelli 6F3 EOBD Diesel Injection i check following parameters:

1. Odometer at last Oil change
2. Distance to next oil change
3. Oil Degradation level
4. Oil change counter
5. Particulate filter clogging
6. Particulate filter temperature
7. Odometer at last spontaneous regeneration
8. Odometer at last forced regeneration

There are no data values in all ot 8 sections neither in MAR ON or Engine ON. I guess it mean there is no DPF or not working but there are no Errors or signals at dashbord. Never get the oil lapm on dashbord flash or screen.

The Oil change procedure is failing also :)
Using my friend laptop with outdated Multiecuscan 1.2 with chineese OBD II ELM 327 interface. No errors with ISO codes. Values like Oil pressure, battery V, Fuel pressure are OK and i can read data.
simonosteopath

Post by simonosteopath »

Just a little clarification here as there are some misunderstandings:

The multijet engine has to use fully synthetic, 'low-ash' oil due to its having a DPF:
All engines burn some oil; it's unavoidable, and so to prevent premature and permanent clogging of the DPF, low-ash oil is required.
It is FUEL that is burned during a normal regeneration and NOT oil.
The high temperatures only occur in the DPF, not the engine.
The reason the oil needs to be changed is often misunderstood but it is this:
As the oil in any engine ages it collects metal and other debris which is mainly caught by the oil filter. However, not all the debris is removed by the filter. As the engine burns some of the engine oil (that which gets past the piston rings and valve seals), any crap in the oil, which gets burned, will end up in the DPF.
As has been said earlier in this thread, the ECU runs algorithms which monitor the modes of engine use, ie; short runs, full throttle use, long steady runs, etc. This way, the amount of particulate build up in the DPF AND the amount of engine wear leading to metal and other debris in the engine oil can be inferred.
This is why there is a link between the engine oil change frequency and the DPF.
Old oil will eventually wreck the DPF. The DPF doesnt wreck the oil!

I hope This helps :)

Simon
s130

Post by s130 »

I think I must clarify why the Oil Change Reset has to be done.

Technically it has very very little to do with the oil contamination level damaging the DPF.

It is all to do with the regeneration process damaging the engine!!!!!

As oil gets older, and contaminated, it ability to protect the engine is much reduced. Now whilst poor quality oil can be tolerated for a while by a petrol engine and diesel engine with no DPF, this is not true for a diesel engine with a DPF filter.

For the car engine to regenerate the DPF filter it basically sets a fire in the engine exhaust stream to take the DPF filter up to 600 off degrees centigrade. It does this by injecting diesel into the cylinder during then end of combustion and thus into the .xhaust stream. This is VERY STRESSFUL for the engine. To protect the engine from damage obviously requires good quality oil. So as pointed out the engine ECU determines the oil quality based on mileage, load, throttle demands, durations demands etc. etc. A point will come when the ECU makes a decision that the oil is of not of sufficient quality to protect the engine with DPF regeneration cycles.

Contrary to the oil contaminants damaging the DPF filter it is the engine that damages the DPF filter. This is because once the ECU has decided the oil is too old/poor quality the DPF regeneration cycles are no longer undertake by the ECU. Basically the engine ECU is protecting the engine at the expense of the DPF filter. After a while the DPF filter becomes so clogged that even an oil change and forced regeneration process will not recover the filter.

In summary. The DPF is not damaged due to contaminants in the oil. The DPF is damaged because the ECU stops DPF regeneration cycles to protect the engine.
Fiat Strada/Ritmo Abarth 130TC, Barchetta 2005 , 500X Cross Plus